Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy your visit.

Catch up on the day to day work I do, and the occassional thought. It's ok, I wouldn't subject you to all the gory details. For more of the handmade art and craft, jewellery and textiles I make and sell, see my online store.



Wednesday 30 July 2014

Quilter/wanna be mixed media artist.

I'm a quilter. There's no doubt about it. I've been a quilter for almost 40 years. I started out when all you needed was fabric, scissors, needle and thread.  Nowadays it's about fabric, rotary cutters, mats, rulers and templates and about 10 different sorts of batting. I can make a quilt by deciding on a design and then just carrying on, with no self doubts.

However, I have a desire to try out mixed media. I have bought paints, papers, boards, gesso, brushes, stamps, stencils, molding paste, stamp pads, ink, jelly pens, pastels etc, etc, etc. I have bought, and watched, more than a dozen 'how to' DVD'S. And watched them again. And made notes.
My stumbling block? Getting started! And then when it doesn't turn out like the videos I wonder what I've done wrong. It would be so easy to just give up .
But I'm not going to. I wonder if that disaster is retrievable. Or perhaps I will start again.

So I am going to use my blog to record my progress, disasters and all. It may not appeal to everyone, and I'm sorry if it's not your cup of tea, but it's something I need to do for me.

You would think, being so textile oriented, making fabric journal covers would be a piece of cake. Not so. I like precision and have worried that my cover wouldn't fit my journal,  or the next journal.  So anal!
I have spent a couple of years making journals in my head. So now I have spent a Saturday with some fabric and determination and came up with a couple of reasonable journal covers. Perhaps there will be more on the way. :-)




I made them so they could be reused on another journal some day. But perhaps they will just stay with this journal. 


I'm looking forward to seeing what gets written drawn or painted in these. :)
Happy Birthday to 2 Grandchildren and a successful 'play' weekend for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment